OAV, DePaul partner on new venture–read all about it…
The Barat Education Foundation, creators of Our American Voice, and DePaul University’s Office of Innovative Professional Learning are teaming up in a new joint venture to establish a new Center for Civic Learning and Engagement Communities (CLEC) in Illinois, designed to be be a model replicable across the country.
The purpose of the center will be to develop comprehensive civic interventions within targeted communities of need, using schools as pivot points for effectuating positive change, empowering students as civic leaders and change agents, and revitalizing the community through collaborative civic action/activities driven by student, school, business and community leaders.
As the only comprehensive action civics curriculum and program in the nation, Our American Voice will be at the heart of this initiative, combined with DePaul’s renowned professional development capacity, deployed to provide specialized teacher training focused on social emotional competencies for civic engagement.
OAV Newsletter Expands
To celebrate, you’ll be able to read all about it–and much more–in our new, expanded Our American Voice e-newsletter, designed to help OAV schools, supporters, and those interested in learning more about the program in ways we’ve never been able to before.
On a rotating basis, each edition will include:
- Model pitches and projects from years past to provide inspiration for new schools and OAV stalwarts looking for new challenges
- Interviews with OAV educator-leaders and supporters sharing their visions for the program
- Best practices for community development from top organizations in the field
- Interdisciplinary civics lessons to bring civics into every classroom, created in partnership with the Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Great action civics intiatives being advanced by other education groups
- Contests and competititons in support of the program
- Reflections on the larger issues of civic society written by OAV staff, participants, and others
If you’re already receiving email from us, you’ll be getting all this new catalysis automatically. If not, and you have any interest or involvement in OAV, we encourage you to sign up to receive it. It’s free, and we expect it to rapidly develop into the go-to publication on action civics in the education world.